Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happiest Job in America

Yesterday I was at the gym on the treadmill watching Oprah (Check out my 5k page/tab to check out how I'm trying to keep myself accountable!). Her episode was all about happiness and what makes someone happier. One of the poll questions was:

11. Which of these is the happiest job in America?
  • Travel agent
  • Clergy
  • Special education teacher
  • Firefighter

Since I am a special education teacher it really caught my attention. And the answer is...

They all are! And, on average, not one of those jobs pays more than $50,000 per year, according to research by the University of Chicago.

Interesting. On the show the research expert said that these four jobs are rated happiest not necessarily because of the type of work they do, but because of their constant social interaction with others during their work hours. I 100% agree. I interact with people ALL DAY LONG. There usually isn't a moment I'm by myself. Even during my prep periods the teachers on my team and I usually sit and work together. I love the constant interaction. It makes the day go by fast. Talking and working with my students does make me happy (sometimes frustrated) but usually very happy! They are funny, kind, witty and caring young people who try very hard (most of the time) to be successful. My students show me determination and perseverance. They also make me appreciate the little things. It isn't a career a chose for the money (obviously), but I knew that I would love going to work. Happiest job in America is a bonus :)

No comments:

Post a Comment